Surf Creatures iPad App
Learning about surf creatures is awesomely awesome fun, with rhymes that will make kids laugh and imagine themselves in the surf zone with these fierce and friendly inhabitants of the world’s oceans. Written by World Surfing Champion Shaun Tomson, who has had many close-up encounters with these animals during his adventures while searching for the perfect wave.
From a Tiger Shark trying to munch you for brunch and then if it’s still hungry, also for lunch, to a Puffer Fish turning you into a zombie, the rhymes combine fact and fantasy, to stimulate interest and appreciation for these unique creatures.
Entertaining and educational, Tomson’s beautifully illustrated presentation takes children on a whimsical journey through the actual and imagined activities of these unique inhabitants of the ocean. As a board member of Surfrider Foundation, Shaun will also outline a few simple steps that children can take to preserve and protect the ocean environment.
Surf Creatures is Tomson’s first children’s book, which is available digitally on the iPhone and iPad. It introduces young readers to 26 of the ocean’s most fierce and friendly creatures—each of which Tomson has personally encountered on his many aquatic adventures. Some of the animals featured in the book also reside at the National Zoo, including the octopus and the jellyfish.
Beautifully illustrated catchy and crazy rhymes for kids about 26 friendly and fierce creatures that live under the surfboard of world champion surfer Shaun Tomson.
The very first and only application of its kind to feature Storytalk™, enabling up to four people to record their own voices so the whole family can rhyme about the cool creatures that live in the surf zone. This fun and easy-to-use app for the iPhone and iPad was written and created by surf legend and environmentalist Shaun Tomson!
While learning all about elephant seals, killer whales, and tiger sharks (oh my!), kids are sure to be delighted by the entertaining and educational rhymes, beautifully illustrated graphics, and realistic sound effects.
Three ways to enjoy Surf Creatures
- “Play” – listen as Tomson himself reads the rhymes, with words highlighted as they are spoken.
- “Record my own voice” – use Storytalk™ to record your own narration. Up to four users can record and save their own voices!
- “Play my own voice” – read along with your own prerecorded tracks.
Surf Creatures’ Features
- 26 rhymes about the fierce and friendly creatures that live in the surf zone—all written by world champion surfer Shaun Tomson!
- Over 80 pages of stunning, hand-drawn images of the aquatic inhabitants.
- Realistic sound effects and cheerful music to enhance the user’s audio experience.
- Helps to improve reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Promotes reading in young children as words are highlighted when spoken.
- Teaches children all about the creatures that live in the surf zone, making them more environmentally-aware.
- Mom, Dad, Grandpa and Grandma can all record their own voices to be able to read to the child even when they are not present.
[note][quote style=”3″]Surf Creatures makes me feel like I am 6 years old again – and then I could look forward to 60 more years of surfing. I love it![/quote]Ricky Grigg, Professor of Oceanography, University of Hawaii[/note]
[note][quote style=”3″]One of the most important things the Surfrider Foundation feels a child can do is connect with our oceans, and we love Surf Creatures for that reason. It is wonderful that this application strives to build that relationship at a young age and make it personal by allowing a familiar voice to tell a story from the sea animal’s perspective.[/quote]Jim Moriarty, CEO, Surfrider Foundation[/note]
[note][quote style=”3″]Shaun is a surfing icon and knows a lot about the surf zone. This app is an excellent and amusing way for kids and parents to learn about creatures that underneath his surfboard.[/quote]Jack O’Neill – inventor of the wetsuit, entrepreneur and environmentalist[/note]